Pugs are squishy-faced, hilarious, quirky, social and intensely loyal dogs. Just check out this video to see the proof!
Here are 13 facts you probably didn’t know….
- Pugs are brachycephalic, which means that the head is broad but short, resulting in the squished face
- Pugs are prone to catching colds because of their short noses
- Pugs sleep an average of 14 hours a day
- Due to their short legs and trouble with breathing, pugs are not usually good swimmers
- In Germany, pugs are called Mops
- A pug can run between 3 and 5 mph
- Pugs are not big barkers but are very good at singing and doing vocal tricks
- The perfect pug’s tail is said to have 2-4 curls
- A group of pugs is called a grumble
- Pugs may have been around since 400 BC and are widely known as the oldest breed of dog
- Pugs were originally bred to sit in the laps of Chinese emperors – they were valued because the extra flaps of skin formed the shapes of Chinese characters
- There is a Freemasonry lodge called ‘The Order of the Pug’ because pugs are considered to be loyal and trustworthy.
- Pugs were owned by Queen Victoria and Empress Josephine Bonaparte. Many current celebrities own pugs, including Paris Hilton.
If you own a pug, email us at email@example.com and we will give you your choice of pet tag with a 30% discount at Pet-Tags! Remember it is a legal requirement that your dog wears an ID tag engraved with the owner’s name and address, and of course a phone number should be included.